We began the SNKIDS.ORG journey together in December 2017. Our goal –
Better Outcomes for all Special Needs Kids
through steadfast advocacy for political and systems improvement.
We have just begun. But, so far, we have:
- held a San Mateo-Foster City School Board Candidate Forum (September 2017);
- launched our snkids.org website and Facebook community;
- held a Summit for Special Needs Parents (February 2018);
- incorporated as a California Nonprofit Mutual Benefit Corporation, 501(c)(4), so we can lobby and endorse candidates on special needs issues (April 2018);
- hosted a virtual candidate forum for the current San Mateo County Superintendent of Schools election (April to June 2018);
- convinced the San Mateo-Foster City School Board to appoint 5 parents to the San Mateo County SELPA’s CAC-Resource Parent Committee (April 2018);
- joined the San Mateo County SELPA in Sacramento, California with the SELPA Association to lobby our legislators (May 2018); and
- helped get Students with Disabilities added to both the San Mateo-Foster City School District Budget Assumptions and LCAP (May 2018).
- hosted a virtual candidate forum for the San Mateo County Sheriff’s race between Carlos Bolanos and Mark Melville (May 2018)
- hosted our first snkids.org Membership Meeting (June 7, 2018)
- launched snkids.org Membership and Benefits structure (July 2018)
- held the FIRST ANNUAL SNPRIDE EVENT (September 30, 2018)
Our work in progress includes:
- OpenIEP project
- SELPA strategy
We are also working on special education report cards to capture key metrics and performance gaps to drive policy changes and accountability, AND we’re mapping how the puzzle of our special education laws, government departments, support groups and funding all fit together!
Special needs kids will be Visible and Valued in our systems and policies.
We will continue to report on our progress as we continue this journey on behalf of special needs kids. We believe in accountability and transparency for organization as well as for our political leaders and the systems and policies under which they operate.
Steven Davis, Jenny McPherson & Chelsea Bonini
SNKIDS.ORG, Co-Founders & Board of Directors